All IMC USA members pledge in writing to abide by the Institute’s Code Ethics. Their adherence to the Code signifies voluntary assumption of self-discipline.
As the professional association and certifying body for management consultants in the United States, IMC USA requires adherence to this Code of Ethics as a condition of membership and certification. The standards of conduct set forth in this Code provide basic principles in the ethical practice of management consulting. The purpose of this Code is to help IMC USA members maintain their professionalism and adhere to high ethical standards in the conduct of providing services to clients and in their dealings with their colleagues and the public. The individual judgment of Members is required to apply these principles. Members are liable to disciplinary action under the IMC USA Rules of Procedure for Enforcement of this Code if their conduct is found by the IMC USA Ethics Committee to be in violation of the Code or to bring discredit to the profession or to IMC USA.
My Commitment to My Clients
- 1.0 – I will serve my clients with integrity, competence, independence, objectivity, and professionalism.
- 2.0 – I will mutually establish with my clients realistic expectations of the benefits and results of my services.
- 3.0 – I will only accept assignments for which I possess the requisite experience and competence to perform and will only assign staff or engage colleagues with the knowledge and expertise needed to serve my clients effectively.
- 4.0 – Before accepting any engagement, I will ensure that I have worked with my clients to establish a mutual understanding of the objectives, scope, work plan, and fee arrangements.
- 5.0 – I will treat appropriately all confidential client information that is not public knowledge, take reasonable steps to prevent it from access by unauthorized people, and will not take advantage of proprietary or privileged information, either for use by myself, the client’s firm, or another client, without the client’s permission.
- 6.0 – I will avoid conflicts of interest or the appearance of such and will immediately disclose to the client circumstances or interests that I believe may influence my judgment or objectivity.
- 7.0 – I will offer to withdraw from a consulting assignment when I believe my objectivity or integrity may be impaired.
- 8.0 – I will refrain from inviting an employee of an active or inactive client to consider alternative employment without prior discussion with the client.